On the Register: Archer's Folly, Carrick
Sitting as a stark reminder to what might have been, the ruins of "Archer's Folly" is listed in the Tasmanian Heritage Register because of its association with prominent local businessman John Kinder Archer.
Not to be mistaken as a descendant of the Archer dynasty, John Kinder Archer was the son of John Archer, a miller from Ware in England.
Following the death of his father, and his inheritance of 30 shares in a steamship, John Kinder Archer turned his hand to the shipping industry.
He was also an elected member of the House of Assembly for Norfolk Plains in 1859, a position he held until 1861.
At about this time, Archer began building a large mansion on the high ground adjacent to Bishopsbourne Road in Carrick.
An interesting feature was the carriageway in the centre of house which took the form of a tunnel. Horse drawn vehicles could be driven right through the building from the front entrance to an inner court yard and out through the back entrance to the stables.
The front of the house was built, but at this stage Archer suffered a number of set backs.
Two of his ships collided in Bass Strait in a severe storm. They were carrying building materials for the house and were uninsured. Further building plans were cancelled and the house was never finished.
In 1867 it was sold to a miller, and ex-employee of his father, TW Monds who used the property for storage purposes.
For previous news stories, check out the Latest News Archives.